Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Something to say

I have always wanted a blog but never started one due mainly to lack of confidence.  Isn't that silly?  I am afraid to look pathetic on the internet.  Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem so now I will move on to conquering that problem. 

I am never truly convinced that I really have anything to say.  The fact is, I am a SAHM.  That is short hand for 'stay at home mom' for those who are uneducated in the acronym department.  I am a SAHM and I don't think I am very good at it.  Oh, I'm great at the 'stay' part - not being at work is amazing for me. And I'm great at the 'mom' part - being with my son is overwhelmingly precious to me.  Its the 'home' part that throws me off.  I am a terrible housewife.  I abhore cleaning.  In fact, my passion is not cleaning.  If they gave out an award for not cleaning, I'd win it everytime.  Even now I am typing this in the few moments I have between baby bedtime and mommy bedtime instead of cleaning.

So (avoiding the topic of my terrible house-wifery skills) how do you start a blog?  Obviously you go to a website, sign up and then you start writing.  I have done that.  I have accomplished that much.  I guess my next step should be to explain my blog title?  I figured that the title should be something that is near and dear to me, a huge part of my life.  And that would be...(drumroll please..) breastfeeding.  you will come to realize that I am obsessed with breastfeeding.  So if you don't like boobs, please don't hesitate to find a less boob oriented blog.  Breastfeeding is what I do most each day.  More than I would actually like to if I'm being totally honest.  But it is an amazing experience to share with my son.  And so my blog title comes from a quote I found when I typed into my search engine "breastfeeding quotes".  (I wonder how many people have typed that into a search engine..)

Here is the quote:
"...a little child, born yesterday,
A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed..."
-Hymn to Mercury (one of the Homeric Hymns [translated])

Now I'm not familiar with Homeric Hymns and such, but I fell in love with those two lines.  They paint an amazing picture in my mind of comfort and love and nourishment and that is what I am able to offer my son.
That is what I want to always offer him, though the nourishment may become emotional or spiritual, rather than of his body...

And that's my story.  Remember the few moments between baby bedtime and mommy bedtime I mentioned earlier? Yeah, those are over.

No comments:

Post a Comment